2 PhD-Positions (13 TV-L; 65%), DFG-funded Research Project, “Reeducation Revisited: Transnational and Comparative Perspectives on the Post-World War II Period in the US, Japan, and Germany,” Friedrich-Alexander-Universität (FAU) Erlangen-Nürnberg
The departments of American Studies and Japanese Studies at FAU Erlangen-Nürnberg are pleased to invite applications for two three-year PhD-positions (13 TV-L; 65%). Successful candidates will join the new DFG-funded research project “Reeducation Revisited: Transnational and Comparative Perspectives on the Post-World War II Period in the US, Japan, and Germany,” starting April 1, 2019.
The deadline for applications is December 20, 2018.
PhD Project 1: Reeducation and the American Way of Life: Women’s Magazines in the Post-World War II-Period in the US and abroad (Germany, Japan)
PhD Project 2: Reeducation and Cultural Identity in Ryūkyū/Okinawa (1945-1972)
Successful applicants will:
- conduct research in archives and libraries in Japan and the USA,
- analyze historical, fictional and non-fictional texts and sources (official documents, newspapers, literature),
- work on their own topics pertaining to the overall project and write a PhD thesis under the supervision of the project leaders,
- edit publications and the project’s website/blog,
- assist with administrative and organizational matters,
- A. degree in American Studies and/or Japanese Studies with a distinct focus on Cultural and/or Media Studies,
- Interest in critical approaches in Literary, Media, and Cultural Studies (i.e. Gender Studies, Postcolonial Studies),
- General openness to transnational and comparative approaches (Germany, Japan, USA),
- Excellent command of English and Japanese.
In its pursuit of academic excellence, FAU is committed to equality of opportunity and to a proactive and inclusive approach, which supports and encourages all under-represented groups, promotes an inclusive culture, and values diversity.
Candidates should submit their application (cover letter, CV, transcript of records/degree certificate) together with a research proposal (5 pages) as a PDF file to Dr. Katharina Gerund (email@example.com), Prof. Dr. Heike Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org), and Prof. Dr. Fabian Schäfer (fabian.schäfer@fau.de) by December 20, 2018.